Celebrate International Women’s Day (March 8th) With CAKE!
Courtesy of CakeCommerce, this is your official PSA: It’s International Women’s Day! To honor all the lovely ladies leading the way for gender equality, CAKE is celebrating with a super sweet tribute to our team of fearless females – plus a shoutout to our women-owned clients.
But first, we want to take a moment to admire the women who have made our powerful presence in the business world possible. So without further adieu, let’s hear it for the girls.
Who Run The World? Girls!
It’s no secret that the business world hasn’t exactly been a cakewalk for women. What began as the Women’s Rights Convention – led by some 300 women in 1848 – has inspired 200 years of equality and feminist-driven efforts.
Those 300 women were the first of many to fight for change. Their blatant rejection of inequitable societal constructions – based on archaic gender roles and biases – has led the way for women in business today. But they weren’t the first fierce ladies to break the vicious cycle. Actually, it was Eliza Lucas Pinckney who was the United States’ first recorded businesswoman.
Eliza Lucas Pinckney – The First American Businesswoman (You Go, Girl!)
For all the women leading the business world today, I guess we have Ms. Eliza to thank (in part) for our progress. As the first recorded female business owner in the United States, Eliza took over her family’s plantations in 1739 at the young age of sixteen. She became a well-known and respected producer of high-quality blue indigo dye for the booming textile industry – and was actually the first to prove indigo could be grown and processed in South Carolina. As a result, she became an integral part of the expansion of indigo production and exportation in South Carolina, which grew dramatically from 5,000 pounds to 130,000 pounds in just three years.
While many early female business owners inherited them from their husbands, Women’s Rights initiatives and entrepreneurship opportunities allowed women to become more independent in the business world in the 20th century. Today, we have women like Ms. Eliza, early feminists, and Women’s Rights activists to thank for our ability to make an impact in business.
Where Them Girls At Today?
While our journey has been a long one, and our progress has been tremendous, women in business continue to stare sexism in the face day-to-day. In fact, 42% of women claim they’ve faced some degree of gender discrimination in the workplace, and women still earn 17.6% less than men.
Though these grievances are mind-blowing, to say the least, ladies in business are undeterred and unstoppable! Unafraid to challenge prejudices and re-write the “gender narrative,” female business owners are building a world where women are respected as not just equals but as leaders.
At CAKE, we are inspired by the passion, fearlessness, and strength of women in business as they take the world of eCommerce by storm. Help yourself to these super sweet stats brought to you by the power of women:
- The United States is home to 12.3 million women-owned businesses.
- In 2020, it was reported that the top three reasons women open their own businesses are to pursue their passions, gain financial independence, and boost their flexibility.
- As of 2019, women-owned businesses employed 9.43 million people.
- Women-owned businesses generate $1.8 trillion every year.
- Only 25% of female-founded businesses seek business funding.
- In the last 20 years, the presence of female entrepreneurs has grown by 114%.
- Female-founded businesses outperform male-founded businesses by 63%.
- 26 women (or 5%) are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.
- Businesses that favor women in leadership roles achieve a 90% retention rate.
CAKE’s Top-Tier, Female-Founded, + Women-Owned Clients
Let’s hear it for the ladies! The female-founded and women-owned brands we work with are simply chef’s kiss. But don’t take our word for it! See for yourself just how sweet CAKE’s female-owned clients are. Dig in:
- bella bliss®. A high-end children’s clothing company, bella bliss® designs heirloom-quality pieces perfect for playing pretend, afternoon naps, and every magic moment in between.
- Neora. Established by a former medspa owner, Amber Olson Rourke, this female-founded clean beauty brand is one to watch! Neora’s products – formulated with science-backed, performance-based ingredients for real results – set a new standard for the holistic health and wellness industry.
- The Bloom Method. Inspired by passion and driven by innovation, The Bloom Method is a female-founded, cutting-edge fitness program developed by moms, for moms. CEO Brooke Cates built her brand to empower women at every stage of motherhood. Brooke is leading the way for body positivity with safe, sweaty, and effective workouts for women.
- Maine Cottage. A women-owned home furnishing brand, Maine Cottage is the place where color lives! Driven by quality and inspired by color, Lauren and Sarah have re-built this home decor brand on the promise of comfort and their passion for American-made, coastal cottage furniture.
- Meadow Blu. A brand built for ever-evolving homes, Meadow Blu’s hand-curated collections from luxury furniture brands are designed with style and function in mind. As a women-owned business that strives to inspire elegance in every space, Meadow Blu is the luxury living brand.
- Rustic Gem. A small, women-owned jewelry brand based, Rustic Gem was born from owner Tracy Kennedy’s passion for creating one-of-a-kind jewelry inspired by a combination of big-city fashion and the rustic rolling hills of California. Specializing in bridal jewelry, the female-founded Rustic Gem is a girl’s best friend!
- Poplar. A female-founded brand, Poplar is the first multi-brand eCommerce marketplace that sells a curated assortment of hemp-derived CBD products. The modern pharmacy, Poplar offers a fresh take on CBD products.
- Dune Jewelry. A woman-owned brand, Dune creates beautiful experiential jewelry with sand and earth elements from over 5,000 locations across the globe. The perfect gift for the lady in your life, Dune Jewelry is everything a girl could dream of.
- Fodzyme. Fodzyme isn’t your average supplement company. Co-founded by Anjie Liu – who built her brand with a team of world-class experts in enzymology, biotechnology, medicine, and nutrition to develop a targeted approach to FODMAPs – Fodzyme products are designed with better digestion in mind.
Cheers to the Women at CAKE!
At CAKE, we are beyond proud of and incredibly grateful for our team of talented and dedicated female employees. Their hard work, creativity, and innovative ideas – and not to mention their passion for all things eCommerce – are integral to the success of our agency. From whipping up and managing complex projects to designing top-tier user experiences and customized marketing strategies, the women at CAKE bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the table.
We value their unique perspectives and voices and strive to create a work environment that supports their continued success. In honor of Women's History Month, CAKE is celebrating all the achievements of our lovely ladies. We remain committed to fostering a workplace culture that uplifts and empowers all our employees – and we are so honored to have a super sweet and super talented group of women leading the way.
Get inspired by a few words from our ladies: